July 2015 Newsletter
This newsletter is free. To subscribe just send a blank email with the subject SUBSCRIBE from the email address you wish to subscribe from – likewise to UNSUBSCRIBE.
By the end of this month six of the major ‘planets’ will be retrograde. Besides the Sun and Moon which never appear retrograde, only Mercury, Mars and Jupiter will be direct …and Venus, Saturn, Chiron, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto will all be retrograde.
This newsletter is dedicated to the Venus Cycle. Venus is retrograde for less time than any of the other planets …just over 7% of the time. Section one looks at Her retrograde phase while section two outlines Her synodic cycle and explores how the ancients saw this cycle through the Myth of Inanna.
Venus and Jupiter have been travelling close together for some time and they can be seen low on the western horizon just after sunset. Venus will disappear from the evening sky around August 9 so make sure you have a look at this wonderful sight before Venus disappears. The best time to look [weather permitting] is just after the July New Moon which falls in Cancer on July 16. A few days later when the Moon moves into Leo and the silver crescent appears it will be conjunct Venus and the Sun …this will definitely be worth seeing.
May the Goddess and God Bless You
O438 730 133
1. Venus Retrograde
2. The Venus Synodic Cycle
3. Consultations and Gift Certificates
All dates and times are for Australian Eastern Time. July begins with Saturn, Chiron, Neptune and Pluto retrograde and Venus will join them on July 25 and Uranus on July 26.
1. Venus Retrograde
Venus moves retrograde on July 25 in preparation for beginning a new Venus cycle when She conjuncts the Sun on August 16 at 22 Leo.
Key dates in the retrograde cycle
The 584 day cycle of Venus charts our likes and dislikes, our attractions and repulsions and most importantly – OUR VALUES.
Venus goes retrograde [appears to move backwards] once every 19 months for about 40 days. At the beginning of this period Venus is the Evening Star, visible in the western sky for a few hours after sunset. She then slowly dips lower in the sky and disappears into the blaze of the Sun to reappear as the Morning Star. A new Venus cycle will begin on August 16 when Venus conjuncts the Sun at 22 Leo.
Whenever a planet goes retrograde it offers us a new perspective. A doorway opens and we have the opportunity to develop a more objective viewpoint. It suggests a time of reflection on the past, and a need to refocus. The house position where this retrograde motion is occurring suggests the area of your life that will need to be reviewed.
Venus is at her closest to Earth at this point, calling us to reflect on whether who and what we find closest to us is a true reflection of our values. We are challenged to develop more objectivity and consciousness about all things Venus rules including our
Sometimes we realize the need to develop a new set of values and attitudes based on current personal beliefs and let go outdated values based on habits and attitudes that come from the collective and our conditioning. This may crystallize around the beginning of the new cycle on August 16 when Venus is at Her closest to earth and conjunct the Sun
Traditional astrology says that this is not the time to make a major purchase or begin a new relationship as it may be an over- reaction to old patterns. I have not found this to be valid but this is a potent time to:
Sit with any shifts while Venus is still retrograde. The time after Venus moves direct and re-covers the degrees of the zodiac that She has moved backwards over – September 6 to October 9 – is the time to take action.
On a deeper level the retrograde phase and the conjunction with the Sun on August 16 are calling us all to not only become more objective about and conscious of our tastes, likes, etc., but to also separate from our biological drives and conditioning and become conscious of the values on which we have based our identity [Sun]. This process may relate specifically to the house where Venus is retrograding and the affairs of any planets that Venus will aspect in the natal chart during this time, especially by conjunction.
The new cycle of Venus that begins on August 16 occurs at 22 Leo and is conjunct the planet Jupiter
Some useful questions for reflection while Venus is retrograde, especially regards the house where Venus is retrograding.
1. What is important to me IN THIS AREA OF MY LIFE?
2. What do I value? Does my life reflect this?
3. Do my values reflect my reality?
4. What resources do I have in this area of my life?
5. Do I need to add to my skill base here?
And more generally speaking…
6. How do I feel about myself? Is there anything I want to change?
7. Am I happy with my relationships? Do I feel valued and respected by the people close to me? What do I need to change? Do I give too much / not enough?
8. How can I manage my money better? Do I need advice here?
9. Am I paid enough for what I do? Is it time to move on?
10. Do I value / honour my body? What gives me pleasure? Is there enough fun and pleasure in my life?
Venus and the Heart Motif
When Venus makes Her closest approach to Mother Earth during Her retrograde phase She invites us to become more conscious of our values and think with our hearts as well as our heads. The Divine Feminine comes into focus, challenging us all to consciously re-examine our values, and relationships and all we hold dear from a feminine or soul centred perspective. The new cycle begins with the conjunction of Venus conjunct the Sun, an image of the Inner Marriage and the need to align our values [Venus] with our core self [Sun].
This need to connect with our hearts is beautifully illustrated in the diagram below which charts just over one synodic cycle of Venus. The loop represents the retrograde phase.
Venus and the Rose
Venus retrogrades 5 times in 8 years, creating the rose pattern, below.
Every 8 years Venus goes retrograde around the same degrees. This retrograde phase will pick up threads from past cycles in 2007, 1999, 1991, etc.? Can you relate current events to these times?
Interestingly there are two quite literal manifestations of the calming influence of the Divine Feminine when Venus makes Her closest approach to Earth.
This section is for those of you who are interested in a more detailed explanation of the Venus Cycle and may be interested in working with this cycle.
The Synodic Cycle of Venus is a 584 day cycle that begins with Her meeting with the Sun at what is called the Inferior Conjunction -
within this cycle Venus appears, disappears and then reappears, first as the Morning Star, later as the Evening Star.
1. Inferior Conjunction / New Moon Phase A new cycle begins when Venus is retrograde and conjunct the Sun on August 16 2015 at 22 Leo. This is called the inferior conjunction as it takes place when Venus is closest to the Earth and between the Earth and the Sun.
This is the key time in the cycle when a new set of values can be seeded, specifically related to the house in the personal horoscope where this occurs and also relating to any planet that Venus aspects at this time, especially by conjunction. This is a powerful time for meditate and reflection.
2. Heliacal Rising Venus is still retrograde when She reappears as the Morning Star [Oriental Venus or Venus Phosphorus], about 6 to 7 days after the Inferior conjunction. She becomes visible when She falls 10 degrees behind the Sun around August 22, 2015. She will remain the Morning Star for about 260 days /9 months.
3. Venus direct Morning Star Soon after the Heliacal Rising Venus turns direct when She falls 30 degrees behind the Sun …around September 6 2015. During this time Venus will make at least 7 [sometimes 8] conjunctions with the Moon. In the Story of Inanna these Moon / Venus conjunctions represent the 7 gateways that Inanna descended through in Her journey to the Underworld to visit Her sister, Ereshkigal. These portals correlate with the 7 chakras and a Feminine Journey of Initiation. At each doorway Inanna was required to surrender a symbol of Her power – one of the seven sacred ME - so She enters the Underworld stripped naked and powerless.
The seven Moon / Venus conjunctions that occur close to the New Moon when Venus is Morning Star are also powerful times for reflection and meditation. The crescent moon is said to be the vessel in which Inanna made Her journey of descent and ascent.
4. Greatest Elongation East Venus will reach Her greatest elongation east [furthest from the Sun or 45 to 48 degrees behind the Sun] about one month after the inferior conjunction.
5. Heliacal Setting When close to the superior conjunction [within 10 degrees and about a month before the conjunction] Venus disappears for about 60 days and is said to be in the Underworld. [Around May 4 2016] In the Story of Inanna this is the time that Inanna was said to be held captive by Her sister in the Underworld.
6. Superior Conjunction / Full Moon Phase: Venus is at Her furthest from Earth and hidden behind the Sun on the 7th June 2016 at 16 Gemini. According to Alexander Ruperti in Cycles of Becoming, this is where we will see the objective results of the new values and consciousness that were seeded at the inferior conjunction on August 16, 2015.
7. Heliacal Rising Venus reappears as the Evening Star, also known as Venus Hesperus or Occidental, about a month after the Superior Conjunction when She is about 10 degrees ahead of the Sun. She will remain the Evening Star for about 260 days / 9 months. [Reappears around July 14 2016]
During Her time as Evening Star Venus will make at least 7 conjunctions with Moon, symbolizing Her return from the Underworld and reclaiming of Her sacred Me, one at each portal or gateway. The Moon / Venus conjunctions that occur close to the New Moon when Venus is Evening Star are also powerful times for meditation and reflection.
8. Greatest Western Elongation This occurs about a month before the Inferior Conjunction when Venus is 45 to 48 degrees ahead of the Sun.
9. Venus Retrograde Evening Star …when She is about 30 degrees ahead of the Sun on March 4 2017.
10. Heliacal Setting Venus disappears when She is about 10 degrees ahead of the Sun around March 19 2017
The next Venus Cycle begins 25 March 2017 at 4 Aries.
Venus / Inanna / Astarte / Ishtar / Anahita
In the Middle East the planet Venus was known by various names and She had a much richer mythology than the Roman Venus and Greek Aphrodite. In ancient Sumer she was known as Goddess Inanna and later as Ishtar [to the Akkadians]. The Syrians called her Astarte and the Persians [Iranians] called Her Anahita.
In all these cosmologies Venus was a powerful deity who ruled Heaven and Earth. As the Evening Star She was the Queen of Heaven and Goddess of Love & Fertility, but as the Morning Star She was aggressive and demanding as the Goddess of War. [Especially in latter Akkadian period]
Both the Babylonians and Mayans invoked Ishtar/ Venus in the cause of righteous war. Hence to the Babylonian Astrologer Venus / Ishtar could confer blessings and abundance as well as war and famine.
The Greeks [and Romans] fragmented this Great Goddess into at least three parts
Inanna/ Ishtar has many stories and The Synodic Cycle of Venus was the inspiration for one the great feminine journeys in myth, The Descent of Inanna to visit Her Sister Ereshkigal, Goddess of the Underworld who was grieving the death of her partner, Gugulanna, The Great Bull of Heaven. The story was inscribed on clay tablets around 1750 BC and was probably told and retold in sacred settings for thousands of years before that. It unfolds against the backdrop of the heavens and must been incredibly powerful for those who heard & knew the story as the cycle unfolded
Around 3,000 BC when this story took form in the oral tradition, the Inferior Conjunction and Heliacal Rising took place close to the Spring equinox every 8 years when Taurus was disappearing into the western horizon at sunset [now it is Pisces]. Every 8 years special rituals to honour this story would take place.
May the Goddess & God Bless You All
2015 Astrology Classes
First Year/ Beginner’s - Thursday nights
Second Year / Intermediate – Tuesday nights
Advanced Group - one Saturday afternoon a month
Christine offers an in-depth psychological and mythological approach to astrology. These classes are suitable for those individuals who are wishing to learn more about themselves as well as those interested in becoming a professional astrologer.
Classes can be taken on a term by term basis and sound files are provided for any classes you miss.
First Year covers all the basics that you need to begin to understand a birth chart.
Second Year goes deeper into horoscope and looks at predictive techniques.
Third Year gives you the opportunity to integrate what you have learned through a tutorial and experiential format.
for more information
Consultations & Gift Certificates
Are available as:
Mail readings [recorded]
Skype Readings [recorded]
Telephone consultations [recorded].
Prices available on the web-site at www.christinerothwell.com
Gift Certificates are available for most consultations.
AN INITIAL CONSULTATION explores the soul’s journey as revealed through the personal symbol of the birth chart. The focus is on the potential inherent in the birth chart and the challenges that need to be embraced in order to realize this potential.
Other readings available include:
In-depth Consultation: Two one hour CD’s exploring both the soul’s journey [see above] and the year ahead.
Chart Up-date: The Year Ahead: Explores the year ahead from a psychological perspective.
Understanding Your Child: A wonderful gift for new parents and explores a child’s unique needs, motivations, potentials and challenges.
Relationship Analysis: Helps explain the dynamic between two people to facilitate their understanding of each other and themselves.
Relocation: Explains how a different location may impact on your psyche. This can be helpful if you are thinking of re-locating and can be included with any of the above consultations.
- Astrology Classes
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019 Newsletter
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015